Tuesday, October 14, 2008

ATTENTION U.S. teens! Hit the Sales racks!

The economic crisis is hurting a lot of American Teenagers lately. As a teen this article interested me the most 1.because of the comic before the article and 2.because of the stories in the article that i can relate to. The first time i actually felt the economy was falling apart was at work. I work at a resturant in a very wealthy part of san diego. In the houses around the area are football players, baseball players, doctors, vets, fire men, police, etc. Pretty much you have to have a VERY good job to live there. One day it had literally been a few months since the new million dollar homes had opened and there was already forclosure signs EVERYWHERE! One woman came into my job and claimed her neigbor moved at night time because they were so embrassed! The first thing i could think of was what would i do in that situation? the kids or teenagers must really feel the change of just moving into a really good house, coming from a wealthy family and now they have to look up what BUDGET means in the dictionary.

In the article it had a story of a teenage girl whos parents didnt even have time to spend with her because they were so busy with work and just had to buy her rewards. And yet another family who had to call a family emergancy meeting to explain the money situation with there kids. I feel it at my home, my parents almost never can just hand me over 20 like they could when i was younger, every cent on my paycheck is crucial to me, i am really learning the value of a dollar. I do admit im not going to generalize my generation but im not going to lie i do feel like things are my rights not privlages. Like i feel like its my right to have a phone not a privlage, and having to pay for my own phonebill and cable bill i recognize i need to have aplan for saving. Or when i get a real job things will fall apart.

During the WW2 Rationing people could determine what was a nessisty and what was for fun, and this is something my generation needs to grasp fast because everything isnt garunteed anymore.

No comments: